Panic Horse

Panic Horse
laura

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Precious pieces
by Paper Skye



With simple, elegant designs in pastel colours and the ever flattering black, Kirsten Shadbolt of Paper Skye has some beautiful creations that deserve a mention! First established in June 2008, Kirsten has since been included in Designer for tomorrow at the Perth Fashion Festival 2009, Style AID 2009, a charity event at the Cottesloe Beach Surf life saving club and donated items to the Ronald Mc Donald Charity Ball and CanTeen.
I had the joy of interviewing her and here’s some interesting information I found out…



>>What are your current inspirations?
Taking photos of nature is a huge inspiration. My previous collection, Dreams at the Lakeside was influenced by water and the colours and shades of it were evident in my hand dyed silk dresses. I love open spaces- being brought up in the country has helped me to appreciate camping and going down south is something I always look forward to. Simple things like grass, plants, water and the textures they create are huge influences. Music is always in the background when I am working so I guess that is also an inspiration, along with thinking about travelling and getting excited about new designs.
>>Describe who you envision to wear your clothes..
Feminine women who are comfortable in themselves and are not super stylish but more subtle in their beauty. The wearer does not have a huge amount of money but enough to spend wisely on timeless pieces that can be loved and treasured.
>>Describe your latest collection…
The latest collection comes out in September and includes classic shapes and pieces with attention to detail. The colour palette is made up of soft, pale colours such as skin pinks, beige and other earthy pastels. The designs are made precious through the use of fine frill details and free flowing layers.
>>Can you please explain your favourite piece from this collection…
A two layered georgette long silk maxi with a simple top and buttons. The top has tiny frill detail with many mini layers and comes in the earthy pastel palette.
>>Where did you acquire your skills?
Studied at Central TAFE for Advanced Diploma in Fashion and Textiles and enjoyed sewing and art through high school.
>>Best advice someone has given you/your favourite quote?
“Don’t expect to be recognised before five years when running a business”
>>Any tips for those wanting to follow in your footsteps?
Don’t expect too much too soon. Start small like at a market stall and grow your business from the profits you make as you go. Increase your production slowly to support your business so you’re not out of pocket.
>>Would you say your personal style is reflected in your designs?
No. I create for a different character; she is part of my design process. Personally I choose to wear jeans and a nice top.
>>What is the inspiration behind the label name?
During my time at Central TAFE I created a dress named “Paper Doll” which was constructed from two tops with four armholes in total, I still have it at home actually. After many, many brainstorms the name “Paper Skye” reappeared constantly as Skye was what I wanted to name my daughter. People now say that my label is my first daughter in a way. (And with Kirsten’s love and fine detail in her clothing, calling the label her first child seems quite valid!)
>>Do you prefer Summer or Winter?
Summer! It is more fun to design for.
>>Explain your daily routine…
Every Monday I lecture at Central TAFE, every other day I wake up at 6am, go for a run and leave the house by 7.30 and arrive at my studio by 8am normally after picking up my coffee. If I choose to check and reply to my emails I aim to be at my studio by 9am and normally stay there until about 5.30/6 pm with a 1hour lunch break. My day is always different; I may be designing, cleaning, sewing, cutting, ordering, and driving. I try to stick to these work hours and the routine I am in, I only see my friends out of these hours and enjoy it. When I first started the business I used to work Saturday and Sunday too, but I have finally found the right balance where I get a break. I do love what I do though.
>>What can we expect from you in the future?
My designs will be stocked over east and internationally. I am hoping for big things and plan to grow the business. I have always wanted this so I will keep at it.

Kirsten was going to go into the hospitality industry but I’m glad she has pursued her fashion interest! Her designs can be seen and purchased through www.fashionwa.com


No comments:

Post a Comment